The Nursing Assistant program at Madison College prepares students for employment as nursing assistants. Students learn:
- Communication skills
- Basic nursing and personal care skills
- Client rights
- Care of clients with dementia
Please note that prior to registration, you will be required to complete a background check and provide documentation of current required immunizations. Please see the Admission tab for details about these registration requirements.
The program is approved by the Wisconsin Department of Health Services as a nurse aide training program.
This program is not eligible for Financial Aid.
The Goodman Foundation is offering a limited number of scholarships to students who participate in a Nursing Assistant class at the Goodman South Campus. In addition, students must show proof of financial need (Badger Care, Food Share or income) or belong to an ethnic/racial underrepresented group. For questions/application inquiries, please contact Nedra Bobo-Boyles, Goodman South Campus Manager.
Nursing Assistant classes may be offered at these Madison College campuses:
- Madison - Truax
- Madison - South
- Fort Atkinson
100 percent attendance is mandatory for all portions of this course. Please disregard any statements that portions of this course are optional.
Graduates of the Nursing Assistant program at Madison Area Technical College can seek employment as the following:
- Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA)
- Nursing Assistant
- Nurse Aide
- Home Health Aide
- Psychiatric Aide
Upon successful competency testing, Nursing Assistants may find employment in:
- Nursing Homes
- Home Health Agencies
Curriculum and Experience
Prospective program students, the information below reflects the basic requirements for students admitted for the 2021-2022 academic year. To learn more about Madison College, visit us.
Current and newly admitted program students, go directly to your Degree Progress Report to view:
- Progress toward your specific requirements
- Alternative (in lieu of) courses to meet specific requirements
If you have questions after reviewing your degree progress report (advisement report), please see Advising Services.First, Second or Summer Semester
Be sure to understand the essential functions necessary for Nursing Assistant courses.
All registration requirements listed below must be complete, prior to enrolling in a Nursing Assistant course.
1. Create a Madison College Student Account (if you do not already have one).
2. Demonstrate Reading Comprehension Requirement by ONE of the following:
- Placement Testing (official scores from one of the following, within the last five years): COMPASS-Reading 60, Accuplacer Reading-60, Next Generation Accuplacer, 240, Reading ASSET-Reading 35, or ACT-Reading 13
- College-level English course with a grade of C or better. If you completed your English course at another college, you must submit official transcripts.
- Final grade of C or better in Academic Reading 5/6 or College Reading Strategies or Intro College Reading & Study Skills
- Final grade of C or better in Communication for Health - Reading and Communication for Health - Writing.
- Official transcripts reflecting completion of two-year Technical Diploma, associate degree, or higher
Questions on how to submit your transcripts or test scores? Please contact our Enrollment Center at (608) 246-6210.
Need ESL support? Please contact the School of Academic Advancement at (608) 246-2378.
3. Background Check and Health Screening
- Purchase and create an account on CastleBranch, using Package Code MJ17. The cost for the background check and health screening document manager is $68.00 (subject to change).
Notes: You do not need to purchase the $12 ID card that is offered. You do NOT need to purchase the Urine Drug Test (MJ17dt) for enrollment. That requirement is specific to a limited number of clinical sites. Any students who must complete the Urine Drug Testing will be notified after their class starts and provided a deadline for completion.
- Print and complete the Background Information Disclosure Form. Learn more about the background check process.
- Refer to the Nursing Assistant Program Health Requirements Checklist (pdf) (also found within your CastleBranch account). Use this document to complete the mandatory health requirements. If you are having troubles reading this pdf, please contact the School of Nursing at (608)246-6780.
Note: depending on your vaccination history, you may need updated immunizations or titers (blood draws) to demonstrate your immunity. Tuberculosis (TB) testing may take up to four clinic visits.
This summer has shown us how quickly our safety can change with the evolving Delta variant and increasing COVID infection rates in our area. It is for this reason that regardless of your clinical sites' requirements, Madison College School of Nursing has updated the health requirements for all students to include COVID vaccination to continue into this semester's clinical courses and beyond. Please view Frequently Asked Questions for further details.
Please ensure that your CastleBranch accounts are up to date and include documentation of both doses of the vaccine (or the one Johnson and Johnson).
- Scan, save and upload your complete Background Information Disclosure (BID) and Health Screening forms to your CastleBranch account; be sure to include any supporting lab reports or immunization documentation. For assistance with scanning and uploading your documents, please visit any campus library.
- Health/accident insurance is required to take this course. If you do not have your own comprehensive health insurance, you may purchase student accident insurance. The accident insurance is $15/semester.
- After uploading the required documents, be sure to check your email account for any 'to do' messages from CastleBranch. Read your background check results carefully.
Questions on the status of your documents? Please contact CastleBranch at (888) 666-7788.
- When all requirements in your CastleBranch account are marked complete, you will receive an email notifying you are approved to register. If you receive a rejection on your Influenza immunization, please contact the School of Nursing.
- Log in to the Blackboard course site at least three days prior to your first day of class to familiarize yourself
- You are not allowed to miss any class, lab or clinical time. Do not register for a course if you expect any absences.
- Purchase your textbook and Nursing Assistant Supply Kit from the bookstore or regional campus front office, no later than the first day of class.
- Other required supplies to purchase: Uniform, shoes, watch with second hand, etc. (See dress code in Nursing Assistant program student handbook)
- Solid-color scrubs and clean impermeable shoes are required for lab and clinical.
- If you need to drop the course, you must do so before the first day to receive a full refund.
- You must be at least 16 years of age prior to the first day of class. Some clinical sites require you to be 17 or 18 years old; this will be noted in course details.
In high school? If you are taking a nursing assistant course through your high school or through Start College Now, there are additional steps to this process. Please see your school representative for more information. All requirements listed above are still required prior to enrollment.
Questions about Start College Now? Please contact Early College Programs and Partnerships at (608) 243-4595.
Upon successful completion of the Nursing Assistant program, students are eligible for competency testing for the Wisconsin Nurse Aide Registry. Placement on the Wisconsin Nurse Aide Registry is required for employment.
Students who successfully complete the Nursing Assistant course will be prepared to:
- Communicate and interact effectively with clients, family and co-workers.
- Provide care that shows recognition of client rights and the role of state and federal agencies regarding abuse, neglect and misappropriation.
- Report and record observations promptly and accurately to proper persons.
- Incorporate into practice the ethical and legal responsibilities of the NA/HHA.
- Provide safe care to a diverse population, meeting personal, physical and psychosocial client needs.
- Assist with client rehabilitation and restorative care, promoting independence.
- Provide for resident personal care and hygiene.
- Assist clients with long-term, disabling conditions including dementia, always focusing on the strengths of the client.
- Care for clients under licensed supervision.
- Take the WI NA Competency evaluation.
Graduate Report Summary Overview
2018 2019 2020 Number of Program Graduates 672 629 598 Number of Surveys Sent 670 621 585 Number of Surveys Returned 430 421 296 Percent of Surveys Returned Available for Employment 277 282 223 Percent Available for Employment 80.5% 82.7% 75.3% Not in Labor Market 153 134 69 Percent Not in Labor Market 44.5% 39.3% 23.3% Available for Employment
2018 2019 2020 Graduates Employed 261 260 205 Percent of Graduates Employed 94.2% 92.2% 91.9% Employed in Related Occupation 175 182 164 Percent Employed in Related Occupation 67.0% 70.0% 80.0% Employed in Unrelated Occupation 81 74 37 Percent Employed in Unrelated Occupation 31.0% 28.5% 18.0% Employed - No Response 5 4 4 Percent Employed - No Response 1.9% 1.5% 2.0% Seeking Employment 16 22 18 Percent Seeking Employment 5.8% 7.8% 8.1% Reaction To Training at Madison College
2018 2019 2020 Student satisfaction Mean (Out of 4) 3.5 3.6 3.6 Number of Satisfaction Responses 342 338 292 Very Satisfied (4) 200 203 192 Percent Very Satisfied 58.5% 60.1% 65.8% Satisfied (3) 131 127 94 Percent Satisfied 38.3% 37.6% 32.2% Unsatisfied (2) 2 4 4 Percent Unsatisfied 0.6% 1.2% 1.4% Very Unsatisfed (1) 9 4 2 Percent Very Unsatisfied 2.6% 1.2% 0.7% Primary Reason for Attending Madison College
2018 2019 2020 Number of Primary Reason Responses 427 418 296 Preparation for Getting a Job 95 96 89 Percent Preparation for Getting a Job 22.2% 23.0% 30.1% Career Change 35 32 39 Percent Career Change 8.2% 7.7% 13.2% Improvement of Existing Skills 14 10 7 Percent Improvement of Existing Skills 3.3% 2.4% 2.4% Preparation for Further Education 265 263 151 Percent Preparation for Further Education 62.1% 62.9% 51.0% Personal Interest 14 12 9 Percent Personal Interest 3.3% 2.9% 3.0% Other 4 5 1 Percent Other 0.9% 1.2% 0.3% When Employment was Obtained
2018 2019 2020 Number of When Employment Obtained Responses 237 253 201 Before Enrollment 60 77 46 Percent Before Enrollment 25.3% 30.4% 22.9% While Attending the College 51 54 45 Percent While Attending the College 21.5% 21.3% 22.4% After Training at the College 126 122 110 Percent After Training at the College 53.2% 48.2% 54.7% Location of Employment (related and unrelated)
2018 2019 2020 Number of Employment Location Responses 264 265 209 In College District 193 211 152 Percent In College District 73.1% 79.6% 72.7% In Wisconsin, Not in District 52 41 44 Percent of In Wisconsin 19.7% 15.5% 21.1% Outside of Wisconsin 7 6 4 Percent Outside Wisconsin 2.7% 2.3% 1.9% Employer Location Unknown 12 7 9 Percent Location Unknown 4.5% 2.6% 4.3% Salary Trend Salary Trend 2018 2019 2020 Full Time Employment (Related Job) Full Time Salary Count 51 61 46 Average Monthly Wage $2,463 $2,550 $2,584 Average Hourly Wage $14.32 $14.83 $15.03 Average Work Hours per Week 41.8 40.5 40.7 Part Time Employment (Related Job) Part Time Salary Count 102 96 93 Average Hourly Wage $13.51 $14.28 $14.84 Average Work Hours per Week 20.1 22.3 22.3
Graduate Employers for academic year: 2020 Employer(s) Job Title City* State** Positions Access Community Health Center Dental Registar Agrace HospiceCare Caregiver Fitchburg Agrace HospiceCare Certified Nursing Assistant Fitchburg 2 Alden Estates Of Jefferson Nursing Assistant Jefferson Alden Estates Of Jefferson Certified Nursing Assistant Jefferson 2 All Saints Healthcare Resident Assistant 2 Attic Angel Place Certified Resident Services Assistant Middleton Attic Angel Place Certified Nursing Assistant Middleton 3 Attic Angel Place Residential Support Assistant Middleton BeeHive Homes of Mount Horeb Personal Care Assistant Mount Horeb BeeHive Homes Of Oregon Nursing Assistant Oregon BeeHive Homes Of Oregon Certified Nursing Assistant Oregon Brightstar Healthcare Certified Nursing Assistant Janesville Capitol Lakes Retirement Community Resident Assistant Capitol Lakes Retirement Community Certified Nursing Assistant Capri Senior Communities Caregiver Whitewater Cedar Community Certified Nursing Assistant West Bend Central Wisconsin Center Certified Nursing Assistant Columbia County Health Care Center Certified Nursing Assistant Wyocena Comfort Keepers Certified Nursing Assistant Fitchburg Consumer Direct Network Caregiver Hudson Crossroads Care Center Certified Nursing Assistant Sun Prairie Divine Savior Healthcare Certified Nursing Assistant Portage 5 Divine Savior Healthcare Health Unit Coordinator Portage Divine Savior Healthcare Resident Assistant Portage 2 Fairhaven Senior Services Certified Nursing Assistant Whitewater 3 Fairhaven Senior Services Nursing Assistant Whitewater Fort Health & Rehabilitation Certified Nursing Assistant Fort Atkinson GT Independence Caregiver Milwaukee Heritage Senior Living Certified Nursing Assistant Middleton Home Again Assisted Living Nursing Assistant Cambridge Ingleside Nursing & Rehabilitation Center Certified Nursing Assistant Mount Horeb Kettle Park Senior Living Certified Nursing Assistant Stoughton Lake Mills Health Services Certified Nursing Assistant Lake Mills London Lodge LLC Certified Nursing Assistant Cambridge Maplewood Nursing Home Resident Assistant Sauk City Marquardt Memorial Manor Certified Nursing Assistant Watertown 2 Marshfield Clinic Nursing Assistant Marshfield Mayo Clinic Patient Care Assistant Eau Claire Mendota Mental Health Institute Psychiatric Care Technician/CNA Mercy Health System Certified Nursing Assistant Janesville 3 Meriter Hospital Nursing Assistant 2 Meriter Hospital Certified Nursing Assistant 2 Milton Senior Living Certified Nursing Assistant Milton 3 Montello Care Center Nursing Assistant Montello Nazareth Health & Rehabilitation Center Certified Nursing Assistant Stoughton 2 Oak Park Place of Madison Certified Nursing Assistant 4 Oakwood Village Resident Assistant 3 Oakwood Village Nursing Assistant Oakwood Village Certified Nursing Assistant 8 Orthopaedic Associates of Wisconsin Certified Nursing Assistant Pewaukee Our House Lead Resident Care Assistant Reedsburg Palmetto Family Healthcare Certified Nursing Assistant Santa Rosa Beach FL ProHealth Care Certified Nursing Assistant Waukesha Prohealth Care Medical Assistant Oconomowoc Public Health COVID-19 Response Specialist Reedsburg Area Medical Center Patient Care Reedsburg Reedsburg Area Medical Center Certified Nursing Assistant Reedsburg Reedsburg Area Medical Center Certified Medical Assistant Reedsburg Reedsburg Area Senior Life Center Certified Nursing Assistant Reedsburg REM Health of Wisconsin Inc Direct Care Professional Rise Up Inc Personal Care Provider Sauk County Health Care Center Certified Nursing Assistant Reedsburg 2 Sauk Prairie Health Care Acute Care CNA Prairie du Sac Senior Helper Caregiver 2 Senior Helper Certified Nursing Assistant Shorehaven Health & Rehabilitation Center Certified Nursing Assistant Oconomowoc 3 Skaalen Retirement Services Certified Nursing Assistant Stoughton 2 SSM Health Certified Nursing Assistant 3 SSM Health Medical Assistant Wisconsin Dells SSM Health Nursing Assistant St Clare Hospital & Health Services Certified Nursing Assistant Baraboo 2 St Clare Meadows Care Center Certified Nursing Assistant Baraboo Teachers On Call Substitute Teacher Bloomington MN The Legacy of DeForest Resident Assistant DeForest 2 The Meadows Resident Care Assistant Fall River Three Pillars Center for Health and Rehabilitation Certified Nursing Assistant Dousman Unity Point Health-Meriter Certified Nursing Assistant Unity Point Health-Meriter Nursing Assistant 2 Upland Hills Health Center Certified Nursing Assistant Dodgeville UW - Oshkosh Certified Nursing Assistant Oshkosh UW Health Radiology Technician Assistant UW Health Nursing Assistant UW Health Hospital & Clinics Emergency Department Coordinator UW Health Hospital & Clinics Medical Assistant 2 UW Health Hospital & Clinics Nursing Assistant 4 UW Health Hospital & Clinics Certified Nursing Assistant 5 UW Medical Foundation Medical Assistant VA Medical Center Certified Nursing Assistant 2 VA Medical Center Nursing Assistant Waunakee Manor Certified Nursing Assistant Waunakee Waunakee Manor Certified Nursing Assistant Lodi Welcome Home Nursing Nursing Assistant Oberlin OH Winnebago Mental Health Psychiatric Care Technician Oshkosh
* - Only cities outside of Madison will display.
** - Only states outside of Wisconsin will display.
*** - If you have a position to post, please contact Career and Employment Services at firstname.lastname@example.org